Monday, September 10, 2012

Bacon muffins


I am a terrible baker, but I'm trying to remedy that by not letting my black thumb get me down; so, I'm trying new recipes that work for me. What you say, explain? Of course, I know me. That being said I understand that if a recipe calls for something exotic like tarragon I'm not going to use it; if the mixing steps involve something more complicated than sifting, I'm not going to do it. Fortunately for bakers like me there are thousands of recipes on the web that allow me to get the flavor I want without all the complications. Case in point these bac-egg muffins that I saw on fat girl trapped in a skinny body blog via pinterest. I didn't use the site to make this, just fro the idea think that it was basically a mini quiche, but I was inspired to make these to go with my coffee this morning. They were a definite hit at my house and were so uncomplicated to make that I did while reading! And shopping!


Ingredients:
4 Eggs (I used a combo of brown and white, but that's not necessary)
1/4 cp milk (Skim or fat free is fine)
Parmesan cheese
6-8 slices of bacon (Pork or Turkey)
1cp frozen hash browns
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat @ oven to 350°
2. In a medium bowl defrost the hash browns for about 90 seconds; then, let them cool.
3. In the bowl with the hash browns add: milk, eggs, cheese salt and pepper (Be careful of the salt content, because the curing for bacon makes it salty)
4. Mix filling with a fork until combined.
5. Using a muffin or cupcake pan line each cup with a slice of bacon. I decided to use my kitchen shears to cut the bacon down to line the sides and part of the bottom of the cup. I had some bacon left over, so I cut it down to cover the bottom of the cup.
6. Using a ladle fill each bacon lined cup with egg mixture.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool and enjoy with a nice cup of coffee. We had the blonde roast from Starbucks, but any flavor will work with the muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment