Friday, January 27, 2017

A future PMP

I have been enrolling in graduate school, but I'm also working on my Project management professional certification.

After researching this certification a few years ago I gave up, it just seemed like a daunting task, but with this new opportunity to invest in myself I renewed myself to earning my certification.

Why PMP?
  • Most employee compensation surveys report that certified project managers enjoy higher salaries compared to their uncertified counterparts
  • Taking a class, studying, and achieving CAPM or PMP certification means you have, or should have, acquired some knowledge and practical skills that might improve your value and success as a project manager.



  • First, I joined PMI.org national chapter and my local chapter http://www.pmicoc.org/ because both of these organizations offer certification guidelines, book, practice tests, and discounts.

    ***You need to study the PMBOK Project management book of knowledge in order to pass the certification test.

    Next, I applied to be able to take the certification test. You can't just take the certification, you must meet the following:

    1. You should hold a Bachelor's degree or its global equivalent (this is a 4-year degree, not a 3-year degree).

    2. You should have 4500 hours of project management experience in not less than 3 years. If you do not have a Bachelor's degree holder, then you should have a high school diploma. In this case, you should have 7500 hrs. of project management experience.

    3. You should undergo a 35-hour project management training. Try the nearest convenient Registered Education Provider (REP) on the PMI website.



    Then, I took a course called Principles of Project management offered by a REP  that took care of my 35 hours of training. I have an undergraduate degree and I spent 15 years as a working professional doing various projects and I used some personal projects  on my experience as well.


    Now, I'm vetted and almost ready to get tested. The only thing standing in my way now is the 600 page PMBOK.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment