Sunday, January 8, 2017

So I lost my job

So, I lost my job. Well, I did not lose it, I know where it is, but I was surplused which sucks. Really, truly, honestly this is the pits. I really liked my job, I worked with great people at a fortune 500 company that gave me a great pay. I loved my leadership team and they loved me back, we were a high performing team, but I still got the boot (so did they).

We knew this was coming, every time we had a "town hall" with leadership or received a company quarterly status update we were told that the company was downsizing. That a third of the company was going to be eliminated by the all-mighty, all powerful time of 2020. We were all strongly encouraged to get ready for the coming changes through education, pivoting skills, changing job titles, and attending several webinars.

All the training and updating of my resume didn't change anything. I was dragged out kicking and screaming about really wanting to keep my paycheck and my stapler!

Honestly, I've been through this before with this company. I was laid off in 2002 for very similar reasons, but after nine months I was offered my job back with the same pay. I was working in the real estate field at the time, building a new career selling houses. I don't like selling, in my opinion, excellent sales people are "sharks" and I'm more of a sea turtle. I'm not saying anything bad about the sales profession, but I don't have the social skills, instincts or fortitude to live off commission. Which is why I snapped my old job back up when they made the offer. True it was kid of like the "spoiled milk theory." You open the fridge and pull out the milk only to find it spoiled, then you put it back in the fridge.

Fifteen years later and that milk is still spoiled and I'm out of a job again asking myself, what am I going to do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment